Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Why I Don't Like Driving In Traffic

I like driving when there's no traffic, or maybe even light traffic (slow cars are like obstacles). But when there's heavy traffic, especially when there's no way around it, I hate driving. I think the reason goes beyond just being annoyed at how slow everything is moving. I think the thing that really gets me is being forced to drive in a dumbed-down manner. Like it or not, if you're driving in heavy traffic you have to actively participate in the mind-numbing task of driving without any real challenge. Stop and go. Stop and go. Stop and go. I don't mind passively participating in a mindless activity (like watching TV and zoning out) when it's on my terms, but I hate actively participating in a mindless activity when it's not on my terms. It's like brain slavery.

Sometimes all I want in life is to just be able to take a subway (itself a mindless task, albeit a passive one) from home to work.

No comments: