Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Homemade Alka-Seltzer


A couple months ago, I made one of the smartest purchases of my life and got a SodaClub FountainJet carbonation machine (the thing on the left in the above picture). I'm pretty sure it's already paid for itself with the money I've saved from not buy bottled carbonated water, plus it allows me to make homemade Alka-Seltzer. I love Alka-Seltzer, but it's expensive and I always seem to run out of it.

So finally I decided to try to make it "from scratch" and the results were great. Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to 1 cup of carbonated water plus a couple drops of lemon juice and you end up with something decently resembling Alka-Seltzer. Anectdotally, I think this actually cured my stomach ache (probably what others would call heartburn or gut rot...basically a really acidic feeling) faster than the real thing. Plus, it's way cheaper. A win-win-win!

Images from here, here, here, and here.

No comments: