Friday, October 10, 2008

No on Prop. 8!


I don't live in California, but I think the defeat of Proposition 8 (which would ban gay marriage in California after it was legalized in a Supreme Court decision) is super important for equality and, more generally, liberty in the United States. If the government is going to be in the business of sanctioning relationships between adults, it shouldn't discriminate between which relationships are valid and which aren't.

You might think that a defeat of Proposition 8 is a shoe-in...after all people in California are pretty liberal and open-minded, right? According to Andrew Sullivan and Mike Riggs, however, that doesn't seem to be the case, as support for Proposition 8 is growing.

That's why I donated to "No on Prop 8" here. I happened to have been in San Francisco for work when the Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage was announced, and the local news stories of couples that had been together for 30 years finally having the chance to make their relationship official were truly inspiring. To paraphrase Michelle Obama, I was finally proud of my country.

Image from here.

No comments: