Monday, August 4, 2008

No Free Pop? Then Let Me Bring My Own!


I don't like this trend.

The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA is objecting to collecting the $1 and $2 fees for nonalcoholic drinks, which US Airways is imposing to counter record fuel costs. Should travelers balk, they probably will not have to pay, the union said.

The ban on liquids is nothing but security theater; it inconveniences everyone with no real commensurate gain in security. For me, personally, the one thing that made it tolerable (yet despised) was that while I couldn't bring my own pop on board (I had brought 2-liter bottles on before the ban), at least I could have all the pop I wanted while on the plane, even if the brands available weren't my favorite.

If Northwest/Delta follows US Airways' lead, and since a passenger departing from Minneapolis is most likely to fly on Northwest, which only serves Pepsi products, and since I'm too nice to put up a fuss about having to pay for something, the net outcome of this trend could be that I will have to pay $1 to $2 for either Sierra Mist (okay) of Pepsi (yuck!). If I'm lucky, they MIGHT have Wild Cherry Pepsi, which is okay.

But all I want (well, not literally ALL) is for my country to allow me to bring my own 2-liter bottle of Vault aboard the plane. Is that too much to ask?

Via Good Experience.

Image from Flickr user liltree available under a Creative Commons license.

No comments: